RECIPE: Early Autumn Rambler’s Delight
NYR Natural News
This is a great way to use freshly picked berries.
Elderberries and blackberries contain high levels of antioxidants that help to fight free-radical damage and enhance the immune system.
Blackberries are extremely high in phenolic compounds, which are known to be health-promoting, antiviral, and antibacterial, while elderberries contain potassium and vitamins C and E. This recipe makes 2 servings.
Enhances resistance to colds and flu.
- 3 1/2 apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1/3 pear peeled, cored, and chopped
- 12 ripe elderberries, rinsed, with all stalks removed
- 20 ripe blackberries, rinsed
Note: Unripe raw elderberries and elder bark should be avoided, so make sure you use completely ripe elderberries with no stalk attached to make this smoothie.
Put all the ingredients into a blender or a food processor and blend until smooth and divide between two glasses.
- Taken from Neal’s Yard Remedies Cook, Brew and Blend Your Own Herbs (Dorling Kindersley). To purchase a copy or get more details see here.